Creamy Coconut Dal with Cauliflower and Peas
by Better Food Guru
Prep :10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
Yield: 5-8 servings
1. In large pot add 1lb of cleaned split red lentils with water to cover plus an extra 3 inches, boil and then simmer 25 mins
2. Sauté in 1tsp oil 4 cloves chopped garlic, 1 onion chopped and a 3 inch nub of ginger chopped until golden and fragrant then add 1 head cauliflower cut in florets and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes
2. Add 4 small chopped fresh tomatoes a sprinkle salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 mins until tomatoes release juices
3. Push to the side of pan to temper spices..add a couple drops of oil to the pan then add 1 tbsp turmeric, 1Tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cayenne and a pinch of crushed red pepper. If you have no arsenal of Indian spices, sub the dry spices for 3-4 Tbsp curry powder instead plus the crushed red pepper.
Toast the spices for 3-4 mins until they are fragrant then mix into the cauliflower, tomato and onion
4. Check the lentils. They cook really fast like within 25-30 mins they should be pretty soft. If they’re soft, add the cooked mixture to the pot plus 1 cup frozen peas, 2 tbsp of tomato paste, 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, 1tsp salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer to really infuse those lentils with flavor. Eat alone or with rice and garnish with crushed red pepper for heat.
Enjoy! If you make this recipe please share with Sara and VeganZine on Instagram with #VeganZineBoston.
Sara Tercero is the Better Food Guru!
You can find more of her recipes and content here.